Rev Parker built the Science Block for the College in 1908-1910 with a legacy of £1000 from the family of Mr. Septimus Scott and a grant from the government of Travancore.
The Library was equipped with up-to-date volumes which ran up to 4000 in 1924. During the year 1924-25 in addition to the Literary Associations in English, Tamil and Malayalam, a Science Association was formed and students themselves presided over meetings.
On February 1, 1927, Mr. G.H. Marsden, M.A Tripos of the University of Cambridge took charge as Principal. He took special care in increasing the facilities for the Science Department. By selfless and untiring work he built up the small Intermediate College of about 140 students. Women students in regular batches were admitted from 1927 onwards.
Compulsory games were introduced for the men students in 1927. Scott Christian became the first Mofussil College in the Madras University to have Compulsory Physical Education for men students under a qualified Physical Director with the status of a Lecturer..
When the University of Travancore was established in 1938, the Scott Christian College was admitted to its privileges. By 1943, the number of students in the College had increased to nearly 300 including about 20 women. Since 1948, a period of expansion commenced. The Travancore University sent a Commission which suggested the strength of the Intermediate Classes to be doubled as a prelude to the introduction of degree classes. Mr. A. Nesamony, who had played a distinguished role in Church and public life, took up the responsibility of building the new Degree College block. His persistence, patience and hard work yielded spectacular results. The year 1950 saw the introduction of Degree courses at Scott Christian. The first majors introduced were Mathematics and History, and this was followed by Chemistry (1952), Economics (1954), Physics (1954), Zoology (1956) and B.Sc. Botany (1966).
The college was affiliated to the Madurai University in 1966. In 1967, the Scott Christian College celebrated its 75th Anniversary as the Platinum Jubilee. The Degree Classes were shifted to the New Campus during 1970 -1971.
The commencing of post-graduate courses in 1971 was a significant landmark in the history of this College and now there are twelve postgraduate courses in arts, science and commerce subjects. The courses offered at the postgraduate level include M.A. English Literature (1971), M.A. Economics (1971), M.Sc. Zoology (1980), M.Com. (1981), M.Sc. Chemistry (1982), M.Sc. Botany (1983), M.Sc. Physics (1987), M.Sc. Mathematics (1988) and self-financed M.A. History (1992), M. A Tamil (1994), M.Sc. Computer Science (2003), PGDCA (2006), M.Sc. Micro-biology (2007) and PGDBM (2007).
Pre-doctoral (M.Phil) courses were gradually introduced: Zoology (1984), Botany (1986), Economics (1986), Commerce (1991), Tamil (1996), Physics (1996), English (2001), Chemistry (2006), History (2006) and Mathematics (2006).
Aims of the College
l understanding and tolerance,
l brotherly love and the
l highest standards of integrity.
The motto of the college,
The truth shall make you free
makes possible the study of the sciences and the human sciences and the social sciences, objectively for the sake of truth.