Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds. And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

Vision and mission: 

The Department of Botany and Research Centre seeks to become a centre of excellence and achieve international standards in the teaching of Botany and Botanical Research and is committed to educating future leaders, researchers and widening the boundaries of Botanical research for the benefit of the society, nation and humanity.

[rollover-tab name=”tab1″ label=”Profile”]

DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY

Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds. And it was so. The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

Vision and mission: The Department of Botany and Research Centre seeks to become a centre of excellence and achieve international standards in the teaching of Botany and Botanical Research and is committed to educating future leaders, researchers and widening the boundaries of Botanical research for the benefit of the society, nation and humanity.

HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
A village-church school founded by Rev. William Tobias Ringeltaube at Mylaudy in 1809 was shifted to Nagercoil in 1818 by Rev. Charles Mead and elevated as Scott Christian College, through the services of Rev. Dr. James Duthie, Mr. J.E. Dennison, Rev. Duthie, and Rev. George Parker. Rev. Parker built the Science Block for the college between 1908 and 1910 with a legacy of £1000 from the family of Mr. Septimus Scott and a grant from the Government of Travancore.
Travancore being an agricultural region, two important branches of science, Botany and Zoology were added to the curricula in 1925 and were offered as group II – Natural Science, Physics and Chemistry. Mr. G.H. Marsden who assumed charge as Principal on February 1, 1927, took a keen interest in increasing the facilities for Science departments. In 1929, Mr. M.J. Cheriyan was appointed lecturer in Natural Science. During his tenure as head of the department of Biology, he toiled to lay a strong academic foundation for the department.
The present department of Botany evolved from the Biology department and became an independent one since June 1966. Botany major was offered at the undergraduate level under the headship of the eminent professor Mr. T.A. Lawrence. In 1967 Prof. C. Christudhas took over as the head and since then, the department showed a remarkable growth. In 1971 the department was shifted to the present campus. Slowly, but steadily it grew into a post-graduate department in 1983, affiliated to the Madurai Kamaraj University. In 1986, it became a Research Department offering regular, part-time and sequential M.Phil courses. Since 1999, it has been recognized as a Research Centre by the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli district. Presently it is the only full fledged Research Department of botany catering to the academic needs of the students in this district and its surrounding areas.
The Department has had eminent professors ever since its inception such as Prof. T.A. Lawrence followed by Prof. D. Christudhas, Dr. A. Deva Sobhana Raj and Dr. George Ernest Thayasingh. The services rendered by them are ever remembered with gratitude. Prof. Thambi Dhas, Dr. D. Cross Bell and Prof. Hector Solomon, Dr.G.S.Regini Balasingh and Dr.C.Kingston are always remembered for their invaluable contributions to the department.
Other faculty members who served in temporary vacancies also lent a helping hand to the growth of the department. They include Mr. Zwingly Prem Kumar, Mr. Reguramaiah, Mr. Vincent, Mrs. Mohana, Miss. Palamma and Mrs. Rani. The non-teaching staff members who served in the department include Mr. Thangam, Mr. Thavamony, Mr. Giles Jeyasingh, Mr. K. Sundaram, Mr. Thangappan, Mr. Nagulan, Mr. Sunder Singh, Mr. John Banian and Mr. Jeswin Mony. The present non-teaching staffs of the department are Mr. T. Moses, Mr.T. Thanaraj, Mr. Stephen, Mr. Felix Paul, and Mr.D.Edwin Mery Paul.
Presently there are twelve faculty members and all of them obtained their doctoral degrees.The Manonmaniam Sundaranar University has recognized Drs. J. Edwin James, R. Asir Selin Kumar, R. Sobitha Bai, A. E. Dulip Daniels, M. Reginald, J. Irene Wilsy, B. Christudhas Williams, and S. Thambiraj as research guides. The department has well-equipped laboratories for undergraduate and post-graduate courses, and research laboratories for M. Phil. and Ph.D. programmes. The principal areas of research by the faculty members include micro-algae, medicinal plants, mycorrhizae, marine macro-algae, plant ecology, plant physiology, bio-fertilizers, bryophytes, salt-pan micro-algae, tissue culture and microbiology. The department is provided with Internet facility also.
The faculty has published over 100 research papers in reputed national and international journals. The department has produced 327 pre-doctoral scholars and 16 Ph.D. scholars. At present there are 30 full-time scholars, 15 part-time scholars and 3 teacher candidates under the Faculty Improvement Programme of the UGC, working for their doctoral degrees.
The department has received research funds from funding agencies like UGC and the Ministry of Environment. It has received grants from UGC in all the plan periods in recognition of the publications made by the faculty.
The department has been producing good results and our students always find a place among the university rank holders. As on date five students have got university ranks in under-graduation, eight in post-graduation and eight in M. Phil. degree course. Most of our alumni hold prestigious positions all over the world. The department has established a botanical garden with a greenhouse facility, rose garden, medicinal plant garden, arboretum, biotechnology laboratory, micro-algal culture laboratory, a well-equipped instrumentation room, and a spacious store room. A separate room for mushroom culture is also available.
The department has a well maintained department library established in 1965 with a remarkable collection of reference books in addition to text books. Book bank facility is also provided by the department. A number of research scholars and teachers from the parent and other institutions are using the library regularly.
The present research library which owes its existence to the indefatigable efforts of Dr. A. Deva Sobhana Raj, named after the late Dr. T.A. Davis, started functioning from 8th September 1999 as part of the department library. It has a collection of 18 current journals, 45 back volumes, 7 popular magazines, 16 Ph.D. Theses, 327 M. Phil dissertations, 200 M. Sc. project reports, 300 B.Sc. project reports and 250 U. G. environmental project reports.
A quarterly newsletter is being published by the department since 2001 with Dr. A. E. Dulip Daniels as the editor. Till date, 39 issues have been brought out without a break. It publishes all the activities of the department, and encourages both students and staff to contribute simple science articles to it. It publishes guest articles as well and is sent to at least 25 different institutions within the country free of cost.
We have set a good tissue-culture laboratory in the department. With the financial support provided by the MoEF, GoI, New Delhi to Dr. A. E. Dulip Daniels, a bryology laboratory has been set. A micro-algal culture laboratory has been set by the former Head of the department Dr. G. S. Regini Balasingh with the financial support provided by the U.G.C., New Delhi

[/rollover-tab][rollover-tab name=”tab2″ label=”Faculty”]

Dr.P.Charles, M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D. [HoD]

Associate Professor

Email : charles@scottchristian.org
Phone : 04651-273112 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr. J. Edwin James, M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.

Associate Professor

Email : edwinjames@scottchristian.org
Phone : 9442079077 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.R.Sobitha Bai, M.Sc, M.Phil,Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9442193432 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.Albert Ebenezer Dulip Daniels,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9791245551 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.M.Reginald Appavoo,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9443281255 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.J.Lohi Dhas,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9443483496 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.J.Irene Wilsy,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9443596022 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.B.Christudhas Williams,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9944945411 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.S.Thampiraj,M.Sc.,M.Phil., Ph.D

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9095489885 Bia-Data Bio-data

Dr.S.Jeeva,M.Sc.,M.Phil.,Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Phone : 9952202112 Bia-Data Bio-data

[/rollover-tab][rollover-tab name=”tab3″ label=”Activities”]

Healthy Practices Followed in the Department

This department possesses a number of unique features beneficial to the staff and students of all categories. They may be:
1. The department issues a quarterly newsletter “BOTANICAL TRENDS” for the benefit of students and staff.
2. The department has a Nature Club for all the nature loving students of the college.
3. A Gardening Club is functioning in the department exclusively for botany students which systematically maintains the botanical garden.
4. There is a Botany association for U.G. students and P.G. students.
5. Regular botanical study tours and adventure trips are organized for U.G. and P.G. students for direct exposure to the richness of the biodiversity and environmental problems faced today.
6. At least 2 seminars per year are being organized by the department.
7. An extension education programme for the students on floriculture, sponsored by the U.G.C. is being conducted.
8. Prof. T.A. Davis memorial research library in botany with a collection of more than 60 titles of journals (both Indian and foreign) in the following subjects: Botany, Biology, Zoology, Agriculture, Environment, Statistics, Microscopy and a few general subjects.
9. Field Lab with green house, mist chamber, hardening chamber, trial plots; separate arboretum and medicinal plant garden are part of the establishments.
10. Research facilities are offered particularly for Biodiversity and Environmental studies.
11. Angiosperm and bryophyte reference herbaria are present.
12. The faculty is also offering remedial teaching to weak students to help them get through the University examinations.

[/rollover-tab][rollover-tab name=”tab4″ label=”Endowments”]

[/rollover-tab][rollover-tab name=”tab5″ label=”News & Events”]

[/rollover-tab][rollover-tab name=”tab6″ label=”Gallery”]

Programes[/box]

UG Courses


PG Courses

M.Phil. Programmes

Ph.D. Programes

Awardees of doctoral degree:

Number Name Year
1 M.Rufus Kitto 2004
2 S.Sukumaran 2004
3 C.Kingston 2004
4 M.Reginald 2004
5 P.Charles 2004
6 G.S.Regini Bala Singh 2004
7  J.Edwin James 2005
8 S.Chandra Babu 2005
9 C.Jespin Ida 2006
10  A.Kavitha 2007
11  J.Irene Wilsy 2008
12 R.Meena 2009
13 R.Sobitha Bai 2009
14 J.Geetha Jhansi Rani 2009
15 J.Lohi Dhas 2010
16  N.D. Brijithlal 2011